What is a Christian?
Outline: Dialogue on the meaning of being born again. Invitation.
Script Number: 143
Theme: Christ (Saviour of Sinful Men); Belief System (Reincarnation); Eternal life (Salvation, Eternal / everlasting life); Living as a Christian (Second Birth, Spiritual Life)
Audience: Hindu; Buddhist; Orthodox; Catholic; General; Christian
Genre: Messages and Fiction
Bible Quotation: Extensive
Scripts are basic guidelines for translation and recording into other languages. They should be adapted as necessary to make them understandable and relevant for each different culture and language. Some terms and concepts used may need more explanation or even be replaced or omitted completely.
1. (Introduce with singing of one line of a familiar Christian hymn).
2. Hello, Friend. Are you a Christian?
1. Yes, indeed.
2. Were your parents Christians? Were you born a Christian?
1. My friend, no one is ever born a Christian with the birth that his mother gives him.
2. What do you mean? I do not understand.
1. Many people do not understand that a man cannot be BORN a Christian. Actually, he must be re-born to be a Christian.
2. Please explain what you mean. Is a person to be reborn after he dies?
1. No, the important thing is that we must be re-born before we die. After death it is too late.
2. Re-born before we die? I never heard of such a thing!
1. This re-birth is something which only God can bring about. But it is necessary, and this is the reason. All of us have sinned. Through lying, pride, anger, lust, idolatry, and many other ways we have broken God's laws. Because we are spiritually dead, we sin. Even though we have physical life, sin has cut us off from the life of God. It is when God's life enters into us that we are reborn spiritually.
2. I am very much interested. Tell me more.
1. God says that when we die our bodies return to the dust, but our souls live forever. The person that has not received God's life will go to the place of punishment.
2. I am a religious man. My sins are few and my good works many. So I shall not have to stay in hell for long.
1. Ah, my friend, those who go to hell can never leave it. God has provided a way of complete escape by the death of His Son. For those who refuse God's way, there is no other hope. ("The smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever, and they have no rest, day or night.") That is why we must be re-born before we die. If we have been re-born into the family of God, we will live forever with God. Because we have His life we are (children) of His family.
2. Truly this is what I want! How can a person be re-born?
1. In order to make us His children, God sent His only Son to die (be punished) for our sins. Jesus received the punishment which was our due. He shed His blood to wash away our sin. (He died so that we might live spiritually). Now salvation (this new life) is offered as a free gift to all men. "God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son." (He who has the Son has life, and he who has not the Son of God has not life.) "As many as receive Jesus, to them God gives the right to become His sons." Confess your sins to Jesus and He will take them away. Invite Him to live in your heart and to rule you (be your Chief). Entering in, He will give you a new nature (life). Then you will truly be re-born (because His Spirit will be living in you). He will give you His life. You will no longer want to sin (You will have power to say "no" to your bad desires). You will want to love and obey God.
2. Thank you for this message. It is what my heart needs.
Rev. 14:11, I John 5:11, 12; John 1:12